Explore how cancer affects normal anatomy and physiology in workshops that include a hands-on component of building the body in clay to enhance self-awareness. All classes are taught by Dr. Jennifer Hellier, adjunct professor of integrative biology at the University of Colorado Denver and a former instructor at Harvard Medical School.
The classes may be taken individually. We encourage attending the entire series as the more you know, the less fear you'll have about cancer!
Using the Anatomy in Clay(R) Learning System, attendees will improve their health awareness by:
- building relevant portions of human anatomy in clay on a scale model of a human skeleton
- learning about its physiology
- understanding how cancer can affect the system being attacked
- discussing current treatment options and prevention strategies
Jennifer Hellier, PhD
The two-hour workshops for this year are:
- March 9, 2019 - Colon Cancer, Stomach Cancer & Pancreatitis
- System Focus: Digestive
- Build in Clay: Pancreas, stomach, intestines, and colon
- Prevention: Healthy eating, the Undy RunWalk, etc.
- May 11, 2019 - Kidney Cancer, Bladder Cancer and Diabetes
- System Focus: Renal
- Build in Clay: Kidneys, bladder, ureter and urethra
- Prevention: Decrease smoking, drinking more water, keep blood pressure/blood sugar in check, AmpUp! Walk, etc.
- September 14, 2019 - Prostate and Testicular Cancers
- System Focus: Male Reproductive
- Build in Clay: Sex organs within the male pelvis
- Prevention: Early detection, the Blue Shoe RunWalk, etc.
- October 12, 2019 - Breast Cancer
- System Focus: Lymphatic
- Build in Clay: Human breast and associated lymphatics
- Prevention: Early detection, the Race for the Cure, etc.
Open to all, the classes are most appropriate for students of high school age and older. Classes are held at Anatomy in Clay(R) Centers, 2201 S. Delaware Street, Denver CO 80223 (in the building shared with The Studios at Overland Crossing).
Registrations will be taken one week prior to each session (i.e. March 2 for the March 9 class).
For more information, contact the Community Outreach Coordinator at 970.667.9047 or email@example.com.